The Path to Reunion: Exploring Australia’s Contributory Parent Visa Subclass 173


The Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173) is the first stage of the two-stage Contributory Parent Visa process in Australia. It’s designed for parents who wish to join their children who are Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens and live in Australia on a temporary basis. This visa allows parents to live in Australia for a specified period, and after holding it for a designated time, they can apply for the permanent Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143).

Key details about the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173) include:

  • Temporary Residence:This visa grants temporary residence to parents, allowing them to live in Australia for up to two years.
  • Two-Stage Process:After holding the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa for the specified period, parents can then apply for the Contributory Parent (Permanent) Visa (Subclass 143), which provides permanent residency.
  • Balance of Family Test:To be eligible for this visa, parents need to meet the Balance of Family Test, which typically requires at least half of their children to be living in Australia as citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens.
  • Health and Character Checks:All applicants must meet health and character requirements to be granted this visa.
  • Significant Contribution:The Contributory Parent Visa program involves a substantial financial contribution, which is generally higher than non-contributory parent visas. This contribution helps cover healthcare costs for the parent in Australia.
  • Processing Times:The processing times for this visa can vary, and there is typically a waiting period before you can apply for the permanent Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143).

The Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa is an ideal choice for parents who want to join their children in Australia on a temporary basis while they wait for the permanent visa to be processed. The shorter processing times for this visa, compared to non-contributory parent visas, can be an advantage.

Please note that immigration policies and requirements can change over time, so it’s essential to check the official website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs or consult with a registered migration agent or immigration lawyer for the most up-to-date and accurate information on the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173).



Speak Your Mind